- Word (.doc) file
- Minimum of 1,500 words
- Title must be included in document
- References must be included in document
- Anonymity throughout file*
- Storage and back-up of the article on the author's computer(s) and digital media (e.g., diskettes, back-up servers, Zip disks, etc.), provided that the article stored on these computers and media is not readily accessible by persons other than the author(s);
- Posting of the article on the author(s) personal website, provided that the website is non-commercial;
- Posting of the article on the internet as part of a non-commercial open access institutional repository or other non-commercial open access publication site affiliated with the author(s)'s place of employment (e.g., a Phrenology professor at the University of Southern North Dakota can have her article appear in the University of Southern North Dakota's Department of Phrenology online publication series); and
- Posting of the article on a non-commercial course website for a course being taught by the author at the university or college employing the author.
Philosophy of Occam's Razor
Who Can Submit?
Western undergraduate students may submit academic work (essays, research papers, etc.) from any discipline.Recent graduates may submit their undergraduate work up to one year after graduation.
General Submission Rules
Submissions need not be from the current quarter but must be from a class, program, or independent research associated with WWU. Students may submit up to two papers per yearly reading period. Students may submit an original article to be considered for publication in Occam's Razor provided that they own the copyright to the work being submitted or are authorized by the copyright owner or owners to submit the article. Submitted articles cannot have been previously published, nor be forthcoming in an archival journal or book (print or electronic). Please note: "publication" in a working-paper series does not constitute prior publication. In addition, by submitting material to Occam's Razor, the author is stipulating that the material is not currently under review at another journal (electronic or print) and that they will not submit the material to another journal (electronic or print) until the completion of the editorial decision process at Occam's Razor. Before you submit, we suggest reviewing previous volumes of Occam’s Razor to gain an idea of the academic content and quality of writing we publish. If you have concerns about the submission terms for Occam's Razor, please email the editors at .
Submission Format Requirements
*Note: In order to maintain the blind review process followed by the editorial staff, files must be anonymous to be considered. Please do NOT include your name in the body of the document or file name.
Visit the Occam’s Razor website for current submission instructions:
It is understood that the current state of technology of Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF) is such that there are no, and can be no, guarantees that documents in PDF will work perfectly with all possible hardware and software configurations that readers may have.
Rights for Authors and Western CEDAR
As further described in our submission agreement (the Submission Agreement), in consideration for publication of the article, the authors assign to Western CEDAR all copyright in the article, subject to the expansive personal--use exceptions described below.
Attribution and Usage Policies
Reproduction, posting, transmission or other distribution or use of the article or any material therein, in any medium as permitted by a personal-use exemption or by written agreement of Western CEDAR, requires credit to Western CEDAR as copyright holder (e.g., Western CEDAR © 2021).
The following uses are always permitted to the author(s) and do not require further permission from Western CEDAR provided the author does not alter the format or content of the articles, including the copyright notification:
People seeking an exception, or who have questions about use, should contact the editors.
General Terms and Conditions of Use
Users of the Western CEDAR website and/or software agree not to misuse the Western CEDAR service or software in any way.
The failure of Western CEDAR to exercise or enforce any right or provision in the policies or the Submission Agreement does not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any term of the Submission Agreement or these policies is found to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties' intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of the Submission Agreement and these policies remain in full force and effect. These policies and the Submission Agreement constitute the entire agreement between Western CEDAR and the Author(s) regarding submission of the Article.